The Small Church with a Big Heart
St Cross is at the heart of the Wilstone village community. We are becoming more informal as a church and now have a modern style service every Tuesday at 10 am. We have Holy Communion alternating with Morning Worship.
We previously had a thriving coffee morning on Tuesdays between 10.30am and 12.00pm but with Covid restrictions it has not been possible to hold this. We hope to resume these sometime in the future!
Our main weekly worship is at present on Tuesdays at 10am. We alternate between Holy Communion and Morning Worship.
For booking your place and details of other services across our Team Parish please see the Service bookings page
St Cross is situated in the heart of Wilstone village. There is free parking in the village close to the church.
We hope to have the church open on Sundays during daylight hours for personal prayer.
We have ramped access into the church for wheelchairs and the pews and seats can move to accommodate wheelchairs easily as the church is all on one level.
We have a toilet and kitchen area.
St Cross Church is a wonderful Victorian building
Built in 1877 by Smith and Fincher of Tring and the revised cost, excluding the chancel and porch was £1470.15.6, the west and east walls being temporarily constructed of brick. The site was the gift of Joseph Grout Williams of Pendley who also gave the iron railing and a generous gift of £597. Other gifts to the church in 1878 included the Lords Table which was presented to the Church by the Reverend W.C. Masters and Mrs. Bowen of Tunbridge Wells and was made locally in the wheelwright's shop at Pear Tree Cottage, owned at that time by Mr. Joseph Hare, the craftsman being Mr. Walter Timson who lived in one of the cottages at Wilstone Green.
The question "Why 'St. Cross'.?" has been asked many times. According to Canon A.C. Deeds, Master of Winchester's Hospital of St. Cross, the answer lies in the fact that ‘St’ is an abbreviation of the latin word ‘Sanctus’, sacred or holy. The full title is therefore "The Church of the Holy Cross."
A small extension was added for the millennium 2000 to provide an improved entrance, kitchen facility, access ramp and toilet to disability standards.