We will have our usual range of Christmas Services operating in a Covid secure way. Wilstone Church's has been reduced to just 20 during the pandemic so our Carols will have to be outside - but at least we can then sing!
Everyone is welcome but booking is essential.
List of Christmas Services at Wilstone Church
23rd Dec 7 pm Carols in the church yard
24th Dec 7 pm Carols in the church yard
25th Dec 10 am Christmas Communion
The Small Church with a Big Heart
St Cross is at the heart of the Wilstone village community. We are becoming more informal as a church and now have a modern style service every Sunday at 10 am. We have Holy Communion on the first and third Sundays in the month.
As well as our Sunday services we also have a thriving coffee morning on Tuesdays between 10.30am and 12.00pm and once a month this is preceded by a communion service.
The church is open every day so feel free to call in to visit us. Even if no one is there to welcome you there will be tea and coffee stuff out on the side so you can make yourself a drink and enjoy our church.
St Cross Church is a wonderful Victorian building
Built in 1877 by Smith and Fincher of Tring and the revised cost, excluding the chancel and porch was £1470.15.6, the west and east walls being temporarily constructed of brick. The site was the gift of Joseph Grout Williams of Pendley who also gave the iron railing and a generous gift of £597. Other gifts to the church in 1878 included the Lords Table which was presented to the Church by the Reverend W.C. Masters and Mrs. Bowen of Tunbridge Wells and was made locally in the wheelwright's shop at Pear Tree Cottage, owned at that time by Mr. Joseph Hare, the craftsman being Mr. Walter Timson who lived in one of the cottages at Wilstone Green.
The question "Why 'St. Cross'.?" has been asked many times. According to Canon A.C. Deeds, Master of Winchester's Hospital of St. Cross, the answer lies in the fact that ‘St’ is an abbreviation of the latin word ‘Sanctus’, sacred or holy. The full title is therefore "The Church of the Holy Cross."
A small extension was added for the millennium 2000 to provide an improved entrance, kitchen facility, access ramp and toilet to disability standards.